Re: [patch 0/4] Cleanup file_count usage

From: Willem Riede
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 19:59:45 EST

On 11/16/2004 08:52:00 AM, Ravikiran G Thirumalai wrote:
This patchset is an attempt to cleanup some bogus and some not so bogus
reads to struct file.f_count of the vfs from various subsystems in the
kernel. This patchset doesn't cleanup uses of f_count completely;
Geting rid of all reads to f_count was suggested by Viro during the
discussion on kref based lockfree fd management sometime back.

What remains:
1. Hack to return error code to user space at last close through file_count
check at the driver's flush routine. This hack is used in scsi/st.c,
scsi/osst.c and coda/file.c to return error code through .flush()
(Although it is doubtful if applications check for error during
close(2)).
Kai has a patch to cleanup scsi/st.c.

The equivalent change can easily be made to osst. I'll be happy to take
care of that if we collectively decide that's where we need to go.

Regards, Willem Riede.