Re: 2.6.10-rc1-mm5

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 18:47:53 EST

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Stas Sergeev wrote:

> I don't think it worked. I do not even
> claim there is still some bug to that.
> But I know that nmi_watchdog=1 worked -
> thats for sure. I think there was some
> fallback, which is now either broken or

Indeed there was and it still is there, namely the following code:

if (nmi_watchdog != NMI_NONE)
nmi_watchdog = NMI_LOCAL_APIC;

in detect_init_APIC().

> disabled intentionally, and that's what
> I wanted to find out to make sure that
> everything works as expected.

Thanks for your insistence -- it helps. We probably want to rewrite the
fallback differently.

> I applied your patch and here are 2 logs -
> one from older kernel, one with -mm5 with
> patch. Both have nmi_watchdog=1, but the
> NMI works only with the old one.
> Does this shed some light?

Thanks -- they prove you have no I/O APIC and the quoted fallback should
indeed be in effect.

Maciej