Boot failure, 2.6.10-rc2

From: Bob Gill
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 14:09:29 EST

Hi. When booting 2.6.10-rc2, I get
Warning: unable to open an initial console
(and the boot process then stalls).

My system has the following already configured:
crw------- 1 bob root 5, 1 Nov 16 10:10 /dev/console

/etc/fstab shows:
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620
0 0

My kernel configuration includes the following:
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=y
CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY_COUNT=256

I have appended console=/sbin/bash to the kernel boot line (which does
not meet with success).

If it makes any difference, my system is FC3. Is there anything special
I have to do to udev (or a particular version I have to get in order to
start a console after the kernel is loaded (and the memory is freed
after it's shuffled from himem to lomem)?

Please reply to me directly as I'm not on the list.

TIA,

Bob
--
Bob Gill <gillb4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>