RE: [patch] prefer TSC over PM Timer

From: Pallipadi, Venkatesh
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 13:30:33 EST

I think trying to remove repeated inl()'s in read_pmtmr is a better
fix for this issue. As John mentioned in other thread, we should do
repeated reads only when something looks broken. Not always.

TSC counter stops couting when the CPU is in deep sleep state. It
should be OK to use tsc with Centrinos which support Enhanced Speedstep
Technology. But, it will have issues with older system that supports
Older Speedstep. So, I would say using pm_timer as default is better
as that works correctly on most of the systems.

Thanks,
Venki