Re: Oops in 2.6.10-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 13:45:21 EST

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Christian Kujau wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 08:57:40 -0800 (PST), Linus Torvalds wrote
> >
> > You can check the ALSA tree _before_ the merge, by doing (in
> > the current tree):
> >
> > bk undo -a1.2000.7.2
> >
> > which should give you a tree without any of "my" stuff, ie it
> > was what Jaroslav was working on before he merged it into the
> > standard tree.
>
> yes, i already did so, i think:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109979092216919&w=2
>
> but i did it this way:
> bk clone -r1.2000.7.1 linux-2.6-BK linux-2.6-BK-test
> bk undo -a1.2010

Hmm.. That may well have worked fine, but it sounds in that post like you
tried to undo the ALSA stuff, and what I suggested was really to do the
reverse: take _only_ the ALSA changes, and then if it still fails, at
least you have now pinpointed it a bit more (admittedly to the _likely_
source, but that's as it should be: you narrow down the "known bad" source
base until you've narrowed it down to the smallest change you can find
that causes the problem).

> > Yes, that makes me suspicious, and is one reason why I wonder
> > if it's just your tree not being built right.
>
> i'll build a -bk snapshot from a tar.bz2 later on and see what it gives.

Sounds like you're doing everything right, but hey, it can't hurt to
double-check.

Linus