Re: deadlock with 2.6.9

From: Chris Stromsoe
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 02:54:16 EST

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Chris Stromsoe wrote:

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Chuck Ebbert wrote:

Chris Stromsoe wrote:

I had a third lockup, this time not related to burning a dvd. As before, the bulk of the processes that were hung were cron

Why so many cron processes? Is this normal on your system, or does it look like cron keeps spawning processes because it gets no response on the sockets?

I'm guessing so many processes because every time one gets started, it ends up getting stuck in schedule_timeout(), until the system stops spawning new processes. There are many of them because the system was running for a day or so before it became unresponsive.

That wasn't very clear. The high number of cron jobs is extremely abnormal. There are generally never more than a handful running at any one time, and very rarely more than only the parent cron process. The most frequent cronjob on the system runs every 5 minutes.

-Chris