OT: cron filling process table (was: deadlock with 2.6.9)

From: Bernd Eckenfels
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 01:49:32 EST

Hello,

just an thought on cron, not very kernel related:

In article <200411070058_MC3-1-8E27-AAEF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
> Why so many cron processes? Is this normal on your system, or does it
> look like cron keeps spawning processes because it gets no response on the
> sockets?

if you have a cron job which is executed very often cron will spawn a new
child everytime the deadline is reached. if the client is stuck for some
reason (ie. uninterruptiple sleep while accessing a broken ressource) it
will soon fill up your systems.

Personally thats why I prefer a cron-like system, which is configured with
maximum concurrency (or always serialize the jobs for a given type). This
has problems with handing jobs, but it is generally more stable for the
system.

Greetings
Bernd