Re: [2.6 patch] drivers/acpi: remove unused exported functions

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 17:22:05 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 01:31:06PM -0200, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

Suggestion that satisfies both of you, I think:

#undef ACPI_FUTURE_USAGE
#ifdef ACPI_FUTURE_USAGE
tons of unused exported functions
#endif /* ACPU_FUTURE_USAGE */

This is what is being done in at least one case in the kernel network
subsystem, incremental patches adds new functions, to be used by
future patches, but sometimes Real Life (tm) gets in the way and the
programmer stalls development for some time, no problem, just ifdef it.

When, in the future, some functions start being used, hey, very easy
to remove the #ifdef.

Even for people trying to debug such subsystems eventually to get
something working its _nice_ to know at first glance what is really
being used, speeding up the process for the benefit or everybody.

That's a good idea.

To make it easier, I could send a patc to move all the ACPI EXPORT_SYMBOL's away from acpi_ksyms.c or you have to touch two files for every function.

EXPORT_SYMBOL() should be right after the symbol definition, IMHO.

files that exists only to aggregate EXPORT_SYMBOL are a relic of the
past and must RIP, away from the kernel. I played the gravedigger
for net/netsyms.c and kernel/ksyms.c, I guess Len will not object
to you putting acpi_ksyms.c in so friendly company 8-)

- Arnaldo

@Len:
What's your opinion on this proposal?