Re: [SATA] status report, libata-dev queue updated

From: Andy Warner
Date: Fri Nov 05 2004 - 19:08:50 EST

Brad Campbell wrote:
> Andy Warner wrote:
> > Brad Campbell wrote:
> >
> >>[...]
> >>Read that as "I have tried really, really hard to break it and as yet been unable to".
> >

> > Is your system SMP ? I'm actively tracking a problem now with
> > pass-thru behaviour (via /dev/sg* ) on SMP systems.
>
> Nope, sorry. Only lowly UP here.

I can confirm that there is some sort of problem with
PIO and SMP. Either exercising only DMA commands, or booting
with maxcpus=1 avoids the problem. At present, I suspect
the PIO task and/or state machine, but I'm still investigating.

I doubt this problem will occur unless you have concurrent
PIO access to different controllers on an SMP system.
--
andyw@xxxxxxxxx

Andy Warner Voice: (612) 801-8549 Fax: (208) 575-5634