Re: Kernel memory requirements and BK

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Date: Fri Nov 05 2004 - 09:57:56 EST

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Art Haas wrote:

Hi.

I've been having problems with 'bk pull' execution when using kernels
after the 2.6.8/2.6.8.1 releases. My machine has 192M of memory and 100M
of swap, so I believe that the memory requirements for using BK to keep
up with the kernel is sufficient, and when the machine is running with a
2.6.8.1 kernel I can 'bk pull' even if X windows is running. With the
2.6.9 and 2.6.10-rc kernels, BK bombs out with out-of-memory errors once
the repository checking begins. I've run the 'bk pull' under the newer
kernels without X running, as well as shutting down various daemons, and
still things fail with memory errors.

Maybe you have some kernel debuging options set? Some of them can eat your RAM very fast with fs heavy load.

Grzegorz Kulewski