Re: support of older compilers

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 15:56:53 EST

Adam Heath wrote:
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 05:06:56PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:

You can't be serious that this is a problem.

try it, say gcc 2.95 vs gcc 4.0 ... i think last i checked the older
gcc was over twice as fast

I didn't deny the speed difference of older and newer compilers.

But why is this an issue when compiling a kernel? How often do you compile
your kernel?

Twice for each -bk to look for "not my fault" issues (preempt and not), usually once with some combination of Nick, Con, or Ingo patches, and then with config options depending on what's been added. Not to mention patches I cull from here and my own set of network patches.

For some people I bet the limit is 24/{compile_time} per day.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)