Re: support of older compilers

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 15:14:49 EST

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 07:36:26PM +0000, Ian Hastie wrote:
> On Thursday 04 Nov 2004 17:04, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:50:38 CST, Adam Heath said:
> > > I didn't deny the speed difference of older and newer compilers.
> > >
> > > But why is this an issue when compiling a kernel? How often do you
> > > compile your kernel?
> >
> > If you're working on older hardware (note the number of people on this
> > list still using 500mz Pentium3 and similar), and a kernel developer, the
> > difference between 2 hours to build a kernel and 4 hours to build a
> > kernel matters quite a bit.
>
> How often is it necessary to do a full rebuild of the kernel? If the
> dependencies in the make system work properly then only the amended parts
> should be recompiled. That'd be a much bigger time saving than just using an
> older compiler.

As soon as you touch include files, a full recompile occurs pretty
often because there are some include files pretty every other file
depends on (and has to depend on).

Well, although I'm doing full kernel compiles sometimes several times a
day I'm not that much addicted to compiler speed but I do understand
others are.

> Ian.

cu
Adrian