Re: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?

From: DervishD
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 13:28:59 EST

Hi Paul :)

* Paul Slootman <paul+nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> > If init is the parent, all works ok, just wait a bit and all
> >those zombies will really die ;)
> I recently had a system with serial console where some some reason the
> serial port was stopped. This meant that init blocked while writing some
> message (e.g. "respawning too rapidly"), and that meant it stopped
> reaping those zombie processes. The list of these zombie processes with
> PPID == 1 was amazing. The only thing that helped was rebooting after
> replacing the serial console cable.

It looks like a bug in sysvinit: it shouldn't print anything on
the console but use syslog and specify that the console NEVER shall
be used to print anything even when there is no syslogd running. I'll
make sure that it doesn't happen in my VCinit.

Thanks for the information :)

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736