Re: patch for sysfs in the cyclades driver

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 12:52:46 EST

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:40:26AM -0600, Kilau, Scott wrote:
> > From: Marcelo Tosatti
> > The problem was class_simple only contains the "dev" attribute. You
> can't
> > add other attributes to it.
>
> Ah, that changes everything.

No, you can add attributes to it, I just don't think the pointer is
accessable for a tty driver to be able to find the thing. Need to go
look at the code again to verify this or not.

> The entire reason Germano and I were chasing down this option,
> was so we could export various "tty" statistic files out to below
> each respective tty name in /sys/class/tty
>
> If its currently not possible to add more attributes to the simple
> class,
> then we are probably going down the wrong avenue here, at least for now.

No, that's the proper way to go.

> Greg,
> I know you are a very busy person...
> Is making a "tty class" even in the cards for 2.6, or is it scheduled
> for 2.7+ ?

It's scheduled for whenever someone gets around to doing it :)

As there is no 2.7 tree, nor is there going to be, why not do it right
now? I'd gladly take patches that do this, and I don't think they would
be all that big at all.

> Germano,
> I still hate doing it, and I know it is against the "1 value per file in
> sys" rule,
> but for now I think exporting the values to the "card" directory with
> each file
> containing the value as a list of ports, 1 per line, might be the best
> option
> to work with here, at least until the "tty class" gets developed.

No, I will not allow that to go into the kernel tree, sorry. Just
export the tty class pointer in the proper structure, and you should be
fine.

thanks,

greg k-h