adding new device to pci bus

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 00:12:48 EST

Greetings;

Some smallish non-progress on my CNC project. I added the
vendor/product description (00ff:0800) to drivers/pci/pci.ids and
recompiled.

The data does make it into the self generated devlist.h file during
the compile, but that appears to be as far as it gets. On the reboot
there is still no recognition of the cards presence in the logs, and
the data I can extract from the /proc filesystem about the card is as
limited as before. It shows up on the pci bus as 00:10.0 and thats
it.

This was using 2.6.10-rc1-bk10 as the test kernel, and on that old
slow box, a 233mhz PII with 384 megs of ram, a kernel compile is a
bit over 65 minutes!

I didn't ever expect that one change to be the magic twanger, but
shouldn't I at least have seen something?

Whats the next step here since it appears I'm taking 1/64" steps?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)