Re: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?

From: Mathieu Segaud
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 18:55:52 EST

Russell Miller <rmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx> disait dernièrement que :

> I am going to continue pursuing this at the risk of making a bigger fool of
> myself than I already am, but I want to make sure that I understand the
> issues - and I did read the message you are referring to.
>
> I think what you are saying is that there is kind of a race condition here.
> When something is on the wait queue, it has to be followed through to
> completion. An interrupt could be received at any time, and if it's taken
> off of the wait queue prematurely, it'll crash the kernel, because the
> interrupt has no way of telling that.
>
> That's fine as it goes, I understand that. But I submit that this is a
> horrible design. I've been bitten by this more than once - usually regarding
> broken NFS connections.

this is because nfs related syscalls are not interruptible by default.
you can make them interruptible by mounting your nfs's with the 'intr' option.

--
I love people saying 'we' even though they never contributed a single
line of code to the project!

- Jens Axboe turning a troll down on linux-kernel