Re: still no cd/dvd burning as user with 2.6.9

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 18:01:47 EST

Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

Hi,

I use 2.6.9-ac3 on my Laptop and I just wanted to burn a DVD-Video with
my external Pioneer DVD writer which is connected via fire-wire to the
Laptop.

Before 2.6.9-ac3 I used 2.6.9-rc2-mm2 and with this I could write CDs/DVDs.

<rant>
So why is it still impossible that users can write CDs/DVDs. I, as a
user, find this rather ridicolous that you have to patch the kernel to
get this simple thing running. Security is important, yes, but this is
just annoying.

Security is important, there are no buts about it. See the almost endless thread on this earlier. You can run your burns as root, of course.

I really hope that gets fixed soon, because its just annoying to reboot
to a different kernel, just to write CDs ...
</rant>

I'm not sure what you consider "fixed" in this context, but if you mean disabled security I don't personally expect (or want) that.

Someone claimed that cdrecord could get RR scheduling with attributes set (did they mean capabilities?), but I haven't seen a working example yet.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)