Re: patch for sysfs in the cyclades driver

From: Germano
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 07:42:36 EST

Hi

I will have to study again the code I tried first (it was long ago), but
the main problem was that due to that class be (somehow) derived from
class_simple, I can one export using it the major and minor numbers for
the device. Tosatti, maybe you can complete my answer with details,
since it was you that advised me about this limitation.
However, this was some time ago (kernel 2.6.7 was going to be released),
and I didn't check how much sysfs for the tty drivers has changed since
them. If I can attach this data (signalling states) to the port, it
would be very preferable than attaching to the board as me and Scott are
trying. Even because his advise about the possibility of my patch be
overwritting one channel data with other's make a lot of sense and I
will have to test it (I'm grateful for you, Scott).

Cheers :)
Germano

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 02:51:33PM -0600, Kilau, Scott wrote:
> > I know you have done work on USB serial drivers with devices with
> > multiple ports...
> > Is there any way to create a file in sys that can point back to a port,
> > and NOT the port's
> > parent (ie, the board) WITHOUT having to create a new kobject per port?
What's wrong with the kobject in /sys/class/tty/ which has one object
per port? I think we might not be exporting that class_device
structure, but I would not have a problem with doing that.

thanks,

greg k-h