Re: Filesystem performance on 2.4.28-pre3 on hardware RAID5.

From: Nathan Scott
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 19:21:52 EST

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 01:57:22PM +0100, Martin MOKREJ? wrote:
> I retested with blocksize 1024, instead of 512 (default) which causes problems:

4K is the default blocksize, not 1024 or 512 bytes. From going
through all your notes, the default mkfs parameters are working
fine, and changing to a 512 byte blocksize (-blog=9 / -bsize=512)
is where the VM starts to see problems.

I don't have a device the size of yours handy on my test box, nor
do I have as much memory as you -- but I ran similar bonnie++
commands with -bsize=512 filesystems on a machine with very little
memory, and a filesystem and file size exponentially larger than
available memory, and it ran to completion without problems.
I did see vastly more buffer_heads being created than with the
default mkfs parameters (as we'd expect with that blocksize) but
it didn't cause me any VM problems.

> How can I free the buffer_head without rebooting? I'm trying to help myself with

AFAICT, there is no way to do this without a reboot. They are
meant to be reclaimed (and were reclaimed on my test box) as
needed, but they don't seem to be for you.

This looks alot like a VM balancing sort of problem to me (that
6G of memory you have is a bit unusual - probably not a widely
tested configuration on i386... maybe try booting with mem=1G
and see if that changes anything?), so far it doesn't seem like
XFS is at fault here at least.

cheers.

--
Nathan