Re: __GFP flags and kmalloc failures

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 13:33:53 EST

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 07:01:55PM +0100, Pierre Ossman wrote:

Is there any other way of increasing the chances of actually getting the pages I need? Since it is DMA it needs to be one big block.

__GFP_NOFAIL, from gfp.h:

* Action modifiers - doesn't change the zoning
*
* __GFP_REPEAT: Try hard to allocate the memory, but the allocation attempt
* _might_ fail. This depends upon the particular VM implementation.
*
* __GFP_NOFAIL: The VM implementation _must_ retry infinitely: the caller
* cannot handle allocation failures.
*
* __GFP_NORETRY: The VM implementation must not retry indefinitely.
*/

Yes, I've browsed through these. __GFP_NOFAIL seems like it can hang for a very long time (I don't know if there is an upper bound on how long it will have to wait for a free page). __GFP_REPEAT seems to work good enough in this case.
My question was meant to be more along the lines of "Is there anything I can do without resorting to unstable/interal API:s?".

Rgds
Pierre