Re: __GFP flags and kmalloc failures

From: Marcelo Tosatti
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 12:51:34 EST

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 04:49:20PM +0100, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> I'm trying to allocate a buffer to be used for ISA DMA and I'm
> experiencing some difficulties.
>
> I'm allocating a 64kB buffer (max size for low ISA DMA) using:
>
> kmalloc(65536, GFP_KERNEL | GFP_DMA);
>
> The choice of flags are from another driver that does ISA DMA so I
> didn't put too much thought into them at first.
>
> The problem is now that this allocation doesn't always succeed. When it
> fails I get:
>
> insmod: page allocation failure. order:4, mode:0x11

This is a big allocation and the kernel is having problem finding such a
big page, due to memory fragmentation (as you mention below).

What kernel version are you using?

-mm contains a series of patches from Nick which should make the situation
better, have you tried it? Currently kswapd doenst honour high order
page shortage.

> and a nice little stack dump.
>
> Digging around in gfp.h to see if I have the proper flags I find that I
> currently have the following:
>
> * __GFP_WAIT : This seems to indicate that the process should be put to
> sleep until the allocation can succeed. Doesn't seem to work that way
> though.
>
> * __GFP_IO : What is meant with physical IO? PCI DMA? This buffer needs
> only be read by the ISA DMA controller and the driver in kernel space.
> Any useful data is copied to other buffers.
>
> * __GFP_FS : Since the data is copied before use this probably isn't needed.
>
> * __GFP_DMA : From what I've been told, this flags causes the allocator
> to do the magic required for the buffer to end up i memory accessible
> from the ISA DMA controller. So this seems to be the only flag that
> actually does anything useful.
>
> My question is now, why does the allocation fail (sometimes) and what
> should I do about it?
>
> Memory fragmentation and overusage seems like reasons to why but why
> doesn't the kernel throw out cache pages and reorganise user pages so
> that the allocation can succeed?

We're working on that.

> As for solutions I've tried using __GFP_REPEAT which seems to do the
> trick. But the double underscore indicates (at least to me) that these
> are internal defines that shouldn't be used except for very special
> cases. What is the policy about these?

Its OK to use these flags externally. They might change in future major kernel
versions though, or even future v2.6 release. ie its not a stable API.