Re: ICMP ttl-exceeded packets not sourced correctly

From: parker
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 12:06:06 EST

Then check for that, and fall back to route lookup if it's receive-only. BSD
already does this, and so does all other router manufacturers, but it's broken
under Linux. I think David Schwartz is completely missing the point of having
multiple providers, hence the reason for the source address to be different.

parker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> ICMP ttl-exceeded code's response should not be originated from the interface
> holding the route, but should be origianted from the interface that got hit
> with the traceroute.

What if the interface is a receive-only interface?

Bubba Parker
sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CityNet LLC
http://www.citynetinfo.com/