Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-mm1-V0.5 (networking problems)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 04:50:55 EST

* Bill Huey <bhuey@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 05:02:34PM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
> > This is in -V5.14
>
> [nasty networking crash trace]
>
> Didn't fix it all...

thanks for the trace - i've uploaded -V0.6.6 to the usual place:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/

which attempts to fix this particular deadlock.

other changes in -V0.6.6:

- increased debuggability by turning deadlock detection on for ordinary
Linux semaphores and rwsems. I suspect that some of the recently
reported hangs were semaphore related deadlocks. Those who see hangs
please re-try with -V0.6.6 and deadlock detection turned on, does it
produce a usable deadlock printout?

- show_all_locks() build bug fix from Daniel Walker.

- another debuggability feature: deadlock tracing stops after the
first dump and the kernel tries to continue (we tried to do this
before but it wasnt complete). Sometimes the deadlock is in fact some
'interesting' use of Linux semaphores and the system will not
really deadlock. The dump we can use to fix up that interesting use
of semaphores, and the system wont crash.

- crash fix: the dump_own_stack() code was buggered - removed it. The
stock kernel does pretty good stackdumping by itself, all that was
needed to activate it was to set CONFIG_FRAME_POINTERS.

Ingo