Re: 2.6.10-rc1-bk page allocation failure. order:2, mode:0x20

From: Brad Campbell
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 03:21:01 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:
Brad Campbell wrote:

G'day all,

I'm still getting quite a lot of these come up in the logs when the system is under mild load.
I suspect it might have something to do with running an MTU of 9000 on the main ethernet port which is directly feeding a workstation with an NFS root (and thus gets quite a high load at times)

It's not so much an issue but it does cause the workstation to stall for up to a second while it waits for data every time it occurs.

The loaded ethernet port is this one on an PCI card

0000:00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter (rev 12)

This started rearing its ugly head when I moved from 2.6.5 to 2.6.9-preX and persists with BK as of about 2 days ago.

There are patches in the newest -mm kernels that should help the
problem. If you're willing to test them, the feedback would be
welcome.

Always willing to test specific patches. Can I just grab the broken out patches, or pull some specific csets from a bk tree? I'm not particularly keen on running an -mm kernel on this box if I can avoid it (It's a server in 24hr use with 2.5TB of data where the backup media is 7,000km away).

Regards,
Brad