Re: Map extra keys on compaq evo

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 09:16:09 EST

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 02:32:14PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > In such case I'd need to configure keys at two different places, and
> > > that's ugly. I have to configure these extra keys with "hotkeys"
> > > anyway (input layer does not provide list of keys available, so
> >
> > It does.
>
> Really? I know input has ability to say that, but at least on arima
> notebook, evtest definitely prints keys that are not there...

It depends on whether you configure it exactly for your keyboard. In the
default config it's configured for a default keyboard, which includes
all at least a bit standardized keys.

> Event code 128 (Stop)
> Event code 140 (Calc)
> Event code 142 (Sleep)
> Event code 143 (WakeUp)
> Event code 150 (WWW)
> Event code 155 (Mail)
> Event code 156 (Bookmarks)
> Event code 157 (Computer)
> Event code 158 (Back)
> Event code 159 (Forward)
> Event code 163 (NextSong)
> Event code 164 (PlayPause)
> Event code 165 (PreviousSong)
> Event code 166 (StopCD)
> Event code 173 (Refresh)
>
> With accurate list "hotkeys" could run with no configuration, but I am
> afraid maintaining accurate list of keys for each keyboard is way too
> much work.

The lists need to be kept _somewhere_, so why not have a userspace
database with a program that loads the description into the kernel at
boot, possibly using DMI as a hint to what keyboard is connected?

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR