Re: status of DRM_MGA on x86_64

From: Egbert Eich
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 09:04:50 EST

Dave Airlie writes:

> Ian, can you look at this I think you are the best person (maybe
> Keithw) to tell whether this stuff breaks compat in any direction,.
> Egbert you may not want to lobby for it but all I personally want to
> know is what it might potentially break in terms of backwards
> compatiblity.... from SuSEs point of view as long as a distro is
> consistent then you are okay, for us the whole keeping DRIs built
> against older kernels working with newer kernels is the only real
> issue...

Right. I know. I've looked into this.
I thought I had fixed the last remaining backward compatibility
between kernel and DRI (libraries and Xserver) by adding compatibility
ioctls.
I still plan to revisit this issue and see if I can modify the code
such that I don't need those compatibility ioctls.

> Hopefully Ian can look at the patch and decide on it....

OK. An earlier version is in the freedesktop CVS (#943). If you want
I make a port to the DRI head. Unfortunately I probably won't be able
to get at it for the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Egbert.