Re: [Fwd: Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-mm1-V0.4]

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 06:56:19 EST

* Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> i got a deadlock though. it was a weird one. mouse and keyboard
> [including sysrq] froze. but the find / i started kept on running in
> an xterm. had to press reset due to lack of second machine..

i've uploaded -V0.6.3 to the usual place:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/

which fixes two issues:

- priorities of SCHED_OTHER tasks not getting properly managed, hence
they could end up 'starving' other SCHED_OTHER tasks pretty
indefinitely. This could possibly solve the 'temporary lockup'
problem reported by Mark H Johnson.

- fixed the 'high load average' bug

i dont know whether this will solve the 'hard lockups' reported though.
It could solve your problem because the 'find /' kept running so it
wasnt a hard lockup. I'll keep testing and i'll fix any problem i can
reproduce myself.

Ingo