Re: Raid1 DM vs MD

From: Kianusch Sayah Karadji
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 06:14:44 EST

Hi!

Should I use MD or DM?

I would say "md", but I am biased.

:)

It is unlikely that support for useful functionality will go away. I would prefer to see all arrays being assembled by an initrd-like thing (initramfs??) but wouldn't dream of encouraging that until it was easy to use and widely used. We aren't there yet.

It seem that there has been some changes lately on the way when and by whom the RAID devices are created (especially in the 2.6.x stream) ... but one of the most frustrating experiences is the lack of decent documentation - or maybe some examples... Raid Support on DM seems not be documented at all ... and than there are some "SubTypes" like Raid Semi-Raid-Controllers (CMD649 etc.). Or maybe I'm searched the wrong way on google? Is there a central resource on the net for Linux & Raid I do not know of?

I had one MD-Raid1 where a good copy of the mirror was overwritten by the bad (old) copy ... I lost 3 Month worth of data and I am expecting loosing a linux project and in the worst case - even a court case :(

That sounds very unfortunate. Without knowing the details it is hard to comment on why this might have happened and how it could have been avoided, but with modern tools (mdadm) and a sufficiently modern kernel (2.4 at least) this should never be able to happen (without deliberate carelessness on the part of the sysadmin).

Hmmm ...

RedHat ES 2.x ... so no mdadm but raidtools ... The System was set up with HA-Linux so the sysadmin just had to initiate the TakeOver ... According to /dev/mdstat the System was okay ... but where do I see which copy is the "master" and where do I see in which direction the synchronisation is going to take place - before the raid is started?

Also I did not find a way to start the raid with just one of the mirrors.

As I said my biggest problem is the lack of documentation.

Sooner or later I'l migrate from SW-Raid to a HW-Raid-Controller ...

Many believe that that would not be a win. Personally I share that view. HW-Raid-Controllers are not "open". md (and dm) SW-Raid is.

Well ... yes ... but with HW-Raid users do not have to think very much. (I'm talking about REAL Raid Controllers - like 3ware, ICP, Adaptek - not about Soft-Raid-Controllers) Simply plug in the HardDisk und look how the system syncs the disc. And in my case I'm talking about mirroring 2TB Data ... MD takes up to 12Hours for syncing the raid - and stopping/starting MD during this time is always risky.

Kianusch