Re: readdir loses renamed files

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 00:39:45 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:

It should be possible to perform an atomic readdir if that is what you
want to do and if you have space in your process to stuff the result.

How much would it cost to always append the new name into the directory rather
than modifying it in place?

Forgive me, what does the sentence above mean? Paste it out of order?

As I have read from earlier replies, ext2/3 replaces a filename with the new
one, given that it is the same length or shorter, and especially that might
skip a while when readdir()ing.
So I was concerned about the speed impact which would arise, if the filename
was never modified in-place but always appended as a new object to the
end-of-directory.

Jan Engelhardt

The api is fundamentally broken. Sorry. Will try to avoid making that mistake in sys_reiser4.