Re: RFC: [2.6 patch] ieee1394 cleanup

From: Ben Collins
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 18:36:52 EST

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 12:29:54AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 04:28:58PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > Need to leave the csr1212 files alone. csr1212.[ch] is used for userspace
> > and kernelspace, and I don't want to have two versions.
>
> But in this case, these functions don't have to be EXPORT_SYMBOL'ed?

That's true, but the files themselves need to be left intact.

> And besides this, they are global functions meaning that although they
> are never used inside the kernel, they need space for every user of
> FireWire.
>
> What about wrapping them inside #ifndef __KERNEL__ ?

They may be used, and I don't want to worry about someone using the
function later on in the kernel, and have to trace down that it isn't
defined in the kernel build. The exports can be killed (since it isn't
likely to be used outside the scope of the ieee1394.ko module anyway).

--
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/