Re: Raid1 DM vs MD

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 13:44:15 EST

>I had one MD-Raid1 where a good copy of the mirror was overwritten by the
>bad (old) copy ... I lost 3 Month worth of data and I am expecting loosing
>a linux project and in the worst case - even a court case :(

Yep, happened to me too, and ever since, I refrain from using MD, but instead a
good (read: my own) backup solution. It's even a little cheaper since you do
not to spare a partition/harddisk of the same size you're mirroring, but can
simply put the .tar.bz2 (+.acl.bz2) onto another fs.

Jan Engelhardt
--
Gesellschaft fÃr Wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
Am Fassberg, 37077 GÃttingen, www.gwdg.de