Re: code bloat [was Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug]

From: Michael Clark
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 21:04:20 EST

On 10/31/04 07:28, Tim Hockin wrote:
On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 02:13:37AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

Bloat is cause by feature creep at every layer, not just the app.

I actually tried to convince maintainers of one package
that their code is needlessly complex. I did send patches
to remedy that a bit while fixing real bugs. Rejected.
Bugs were planned to be fixed by adding more code.
I've lost all hope on that case.

See, there is an ego problem, too. If you rewrite my code, it means
you're better than I am. Rejected.

Features win over efficiency. Seriously, look at glibc. Hav eyou ever
tried to fix a bug in it? Holy CRAP is that horrible code. Each chunk of
code itself is OK (though it abuses macrso so thoroughly I hesitate to
call it C code). But it tried to support every architecture x every OS.
You know what? I don't CARE if the glibc code compiles on HPUX or not.
HPUX has it's own libc.

I guess this is a reason why bloat problem tend to be solved
by rewrite from scratch. I could name quite a few cases:

From-scratch is a huge risk. But yeah, sometimes it has to be.

It's sort of frightening that someone will need to
rewrite Xlib or, say, OpenOffice :(

Well, the xlib rewrite is happening (XCB/XCL).
One of the reasons cited is the size of xlib.

http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xcb

~mc