Re: kbuild (was Re: Versioning of tree)

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 16:36:27 EST

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 07:03:16PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >We already have the concept of "localversion*" files that get appended to
> >the build.[...]
>

> Just to tangent a bit... I've been meaning to throw out a public kudos
> to Sam, Kai, Roman and the other kbuild/kconfig hackers. The 2.6 kbuild
> and kconfig system is a _huge_ improvement over 2.4.x.

Thanks :-)
Kai and Roman have taken the big steps here!

> These days I use
> echo "-sataN" > localversion
> heavily, and it's been quite helpful. The separation of src/obj
> directories, the default verbosity level, 'make allyesconfig', and the
> elimination of recursive Makefile invocations are just some of the
> things that stick out as positive improvements that impact me on a daily
> basis.

The recursive Makefile invocations are still present. But just
working better than before.
I would like to write a small parser to generate one Makefile
for the kernel stuff but dunno when I will find time for it.
Main driver would be to increase speed when building a single
file. But it will also simplify building modules avoiding
the synchronization point we have before entering modpost stage.

Sam