Re: md and multipathing

From: Phy Prabab
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 14:12:33 EST

Lars et all,

This what I am doing I believe. Here is the command:

mdadm --create --force -lmp -n2 /dev/md0 /dev/sda
/dev/sdc

First controller is /dev/sda /dev/sdb (channel a and b
respective) and the second controller is /dev/sdc
/dev/sdd (again, channel a and b respecitve).

Here I am using multipath (enabled in kernel,
268,269,2610rc1) with the two paths to the FC volume.
I have found that it only drives one channel of the md
device as reported by vmstat. More over, the traffic
appears to only go to the first device listed e.g. if
I change the ordering and use channel "b" first, than
all traffic to the md is driven on that channel.

Put another way, this is what I believe I have done:
device 0:0:0:0 + 1:0:0:0 = md0
device 0:0:0:1 + 1:0:0:1 = md1

scsi dev sda + sdc = md0
scsi dev sdb + sdd = md1

So have I done something wrong with the setup? Am I
to question mdadm or md device?

I get the exact same behavior as if I were to make the
device have a sprae path i.e. mdadm --create --force
-lmp -n1 -x1 /dev/md0 /dev/sda /dev/sdc, but without
the failover device. What I would want is to have
traffice be "exqually balanced" across both channels
(e.g. device paths /dev/sda /dev/sdc) with hopes that
this will improve my throughput.

Thanks!
Phy