Exclusive access to hardware for test purpose

From: Mehul Patel
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 17:47:18 EST

Hi,

Is anyone aware of kernel call which allows a test
tool developer to have exclusive access to PCI adapter
hardware. By exclusive access I mean both
driver as well as kernel should not touch hardware.

I have been using driver's remove call to simulate the
situation as if adapter has been hot plugged out. And
once my testing is done I call driver's probe
call to put adapter back. But this seems to create a
problem when somehow kernel calls driver's remove
call.

Also If I dont call probe for the removed adapter, on
next reboot machine hangs !

Any information/suggestions please .....

Thanks in advance.

best regards,
Mehul.