Re: [uClibc] Re: [OT] Re: The naming wars continue...

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 18:22:46 EST

Dave Dodge <dododge@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 11:15:15PM +0200, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>> Dave Dodge <dododge@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> > If I recall correctly, in the GoboLinux case
> [...]
>> > I believe "/bin" is a symlink to the bin directory in the main
>> > install prefix, but there are patches so that while "/bin" can be
>> > used for lookups it does not appear when you list "/".
>>
>> If there's one thing I detest, it is such hiding of files. The GUI in
>> MacOSX does such things too, even /tmp is hidden there.
>
> I believe Gobo only has paths such as "/bin" for legacy compatibility
> (for example scripts starting with #!/bin/...). "/dev" is another
> case, since that isn't where Gobo puts its devices, but lots of things
> are going to assume they can use "/dev/zero" and "/dev/null".

I don't quite see the point in breaking compatibility just for the
sake of being different, or whatever their reasons may be. There is
absolutely no technical justification for doing it that way.

>> It's visible from a shell though.
>
> Gobo actually does it in the kernel; whether that's better or worse
> depends on your point of view. There's a command-line tool "GoboHide"
> that provides a list of hidden things:
>
> http://gobolinux.org/index.php?page=doc/articles/gobohide
>
> I think all of the things hidden in a normal GoboLinux desktop are
> just legacy symlinks, and the real locations they point to are fully
> visible. Unlike MacOS, where the Finder ignores a lot of real
> directories and applications (I've been bitten there by "/tmp"
> myself).

On MacOSX you at least have the option to ignore the braindead GUI
tools. Under the hood, it's largely POSIX compliant.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxxxxxx