netpoll_setup questions

From: Jeff Moyer
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 10:53:04 EST

Hi, Matt,

The section of code in the body of this if statement:

if (!(ndev->flags & IFF_UP)) {

is a bit broken. First, upon discussion with jgarzik, it seems we should
not check for IFF_UP, but instead do netif_running. However, I'm wondering
why we try to force the interface up in the first place? Just because we
force it up doesn't mean that it will get an IP address. And, in the case
where it doesn't, you will get an oops further on when dereferencing the
ifa_list. So, why does this section of code exist at all? If it has a
good purpose, can we replace it with a call to ndev->open?

Thanks!

Jeff