Re: 2.6.9-mm1

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 11:03:15 EST

Yes, that gets further. :(
Maybe I'll just (try) apply the kexec patch to a vanilla kernel.

IDE PIO changes are the part of a vanilla kernel.

If vanilla kernel (+akpm's fix) works OK then
this bug is not mine fault. :)

I doubt if it'll help much. It looks like IDE PIO got badly broken.

Weird, this code was in -mm for over a month.

That's something we have to fix - could you work with Bart on it please?

Sure. Bart?

I need more data, IDE PIO works fine here.

How come your disks are running in PIO mode anyway?

Maybe disks are runing in DMA mode but some application
triggers PIO access (IDENTIFY command, S.M.A.R.T. etc.)...

No idea.

Andrew made me look. Duh. It's because I'm booting with
ide=nodma.

So Bart, can you check the noautodma=1 code path?
And I'll test it again on Tuesday without using ide=nodma.

Booting 2.6.9-mm1 without using "ide=nodma" works well for me.
No other kernel changes.

4 oopsen boot logs are (back-to-back) in:
http://developer.osdl.org/rddunlap/doc/capture-ide.txt
if you need to see them.

--
~Randy