Re: lowmem_reserve (replaces protection)

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 23:26:11 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 01:48:02PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

I see classzone_idx snuck in, can we leave that as alloc_type please?

when I wrote that code in 2.4 it was called class_idx. Just to show it
was not an opaque type, in this 2.6 I called it classzone_idx but it's
the same as class_idx. If you feel classzone_idx is too long I'm sure
fine to rename to class_idx like plain 2.4.

The reason I renamed it is that alloc_type tells nothing to who's
reading the code. That value in the opaque "alloc_type" variable, is
really the classzone_idx that identify the classzone we have to allocate
memory from. Classzone 2 means "all ram is good", classzone 2 means
"zone-normal + zone-dma is good", classzone 0 means "zone-dma is good".

OK that makes sense... it isn't the length of the name, but the fact
that that naming convention hasn't proliferated thoughout the 2.6 tree;
maybe could you add a little comment along the lines of the above?
Thanks