lowmem_reserve (replaces protection)

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 12:08:59 EST

This is a forward port to 2.6 CVS of the lowmem_reserve VM feature in
the 2.4 kernel.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.6/2.6.9/lowmem_reserve-1

Lack of this feature might explain out of memory related killing or
deadlocks hit on >2G boxes. so if anybody is having trouble with oom
conditions this is a patch to try.

this is only slightly tested but works for me so far.

This is the first of a series of oom related fix I'm going to do and
test within the next weeks to attempt to cure various oom regressions in
2.6 (deadlocks turned into crazy early oom kills and the like).