Re: 4level page tables for Linux II

From: Jörn Engel
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 18:40:59 EST

On Fri, 15 October 2004 15:55:21 +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> Right now, so are the existing names: you have to remember which is which.

That appears to be the problem with any name. Still, my confusion
about which is read(2) and which is write(2) is rare.

> Levels numbered 1..4 are much simpler: you only have to remember that
> the actual pages are level zero.

if and goto is much simpler, compared to while, for, do..while, else,
and whatever slipped my mind right now. Maybe you should target the c
standard next. ;)

> The solution of your typo problem is typechecking in the compiler;
> presumably it'll warn me if I try to store a pgd3 pointer in a pgd2
> entry.

That should help somewhat, agreed. Patches?

Jörn

--
Public Domain - Free as in Beer
General Public - Free as in Speech