Re: Fw: signed kernel modules?

From: Lee Revell
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 16:11:02 EST

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 13:35, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> You just don't get it. This is policy.
>
> Script started on Fri 15 Oct 2004 01:13:59 PM EDT
> # insmod xxx.ko
> xxx: module license 'BSD' taints kernel.
> # exit
> Script done on Fri 15 Oct 2004 01:14:26 PM EDT

OK, now _this_ is undeniably policy, I would go so far as to call it
bullshit. There is a fundamental technical reason to have closed source
modules taint the kernel, because you cannot debug a closed source
module. But come on, a BSD license tainting the kernel? That is
zealotry, pure and simple.

Lee