Re: 2.6.9-rc4-mm1 : oops when rmmod uhci_hcd [was: 2.6.9-rc3-mm2: oops...]

From: Lee Revell
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 15:55:55 EST

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 13:36, Paul Fulghum wrote:
> Unique device names are useful for identifying
> which device instance is on a particular interrupt
> (/proc/interrupts), but other drivers beside uhci_hcd
> use a constant name so I guess that is legal :-)

I agree that this would be a useful enhancement to the uhci_hcd driver.
For example:

CPU0
0: 183247514 XT-PIC timer 0/47514
1: 67096 XT-PIC i8042 58/67096
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade 0/0
8: 82425669 XT-PIC rtc 0/25669
10: 163607273 XT-PIC uhci_hcd, EMU10K1 0/7273
11: 1912890 XT-PIC uhci_hcd, eth0 0/12890
12: 0 XT-PIC uhci_hcd 0/0
15: 244330 XT-PIC ide1 0/44329

The front panel USB port shares an interrupt with the sound card, the
rear with eth0. Fome some of my testing it would be helpful if these
just had numbers that I could mentally associate with a USB port. Right
now I have to move the mouse and watch the interrupt count.

> Either way, the generic IRQ code should deal with
> duplicates without generating an oops.

Agreed, this bug should be fixed either way.

Lee