janitoring printk with no KERN_ constants, kill all defaults?

From: Daniele Pizzoni
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 09:47:04 EST

I'm investigating this (from the kernel janitors TODO list):

From: Andrey Panin <pazke at orbita dot don dot sitek dot net>

- check printk() calls (should include appropriate KERN_* constant).

printk ends up using the default KERN_WARNING constant when no costant
is explicitly specified; the default is changeable. So a printk with
_no_ constant specified means "use the current default" and could be,
maybe in some cases only, a developer choice.

I ask, what rationale there is behind checking all printks to include
the "appropriate" constant? Should then we make printk fail when called
without KERN_ constant? Or can I force with a sed script all defaulted
printk to KERN_WARNING?

I'm looking for advice, or a pointer to an appropriate thread of the
lkml archives.

Thanks
Daniele Pizzoni <auouo@xxxxxx>