Re: Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 09:13:37 EST

On 14-10-2004 21:02:36, Kendall Bennett wrote:
Hello All,
[...]
So what we would like to find out is how much interest there might be
in
both an updated VESA framebuffer console driver as well as the code
for
the Video card BOOT process being contributed to the maintstream
kernel.

The BOOT stuff is very interesting. Currently, both my videocards
(in the same pc)
have nice hw-specific framebuffer drivers, but they require that
the card is initialized by the bios first and this only ever
happens to one of the cards. Xfree _can_ do the job, but way
too late for setting up the framebuffer device.

If there is interest, we would start out by first contributing the
core
emulator and Video BOOT code, and then work on building a better VESA
framebuffer console driver.

Having video BOOT would be great, and please make it independent
of the framebuffer drivers. I might want to try your vesa driver,
but I might also want to use the hw-accelerated chip specific driver
that happens to need an initialized video card.

Helge Hafting