Re: __attribute__((unused))

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 09:03:50 EST

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Alan Cox wrote:

On Iau, 2004-10-14 at 23:08, Russell King wrote:
It's the "later compilers" which I'm worried about here - I think they
defined "unused" to mean "this really really isn't used and you can
discard it". Hence my concern with the above.

This was the explanation I got some time ago

-- quote --

So "used" cases that used "unused" could break, though older compilers
in essence used "unused" to mean both "used" and "unused". Since
"unused" becomes useless for using in "used" cases, we now must be sure
to use "used" when that's the use that's useful.
-- Roland McGrath

I found it so helpful it became a .sig 8)

Yes. Just like "less" is more than "more"......and whos on first base.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.8 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).