Re: Fw: ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally!

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 08:55:49 EST

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Stephan wrote:

Hi there,

System Configuration...
LSI Megaraid 320-1 SCSI Card
Redhat ES 3 , build 3
Boot loader : lilo

I'm running Redhat ES 3 release and after much struggle finally succeeded in compiling the kernel successfully.... I hope :). I'm getting the following problems after I've rebooted the system on the newly installed kernel.

Now I've done some reading on google about this and the only thing I could find was that I should try to change (append="root=LABEL=/") to the actual device name where root can be found. I got the same affect.....

Any ideas would be apreciated.

<------------------------------error----------------------------------->
ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally!
insmod QM_MODULES:

Your insmod may need updating (the one used by initrd).
As you can see, it was unable to load even the first
module necessary to eventually access your root file-system.

The new kernel has QUERY_MODULES removed (don't ask why, normally
there would be some kind of compatibility-overlap). So, your
older `insmod` or `insmod.static` is trying to use the old-
method of loading modules.

[SNIPPED...]

You may not be able to recover easily. I found that I needed
to rebuild the kernel with the necessary SCSI drivers in the
kernel. This would allow me to boot and mount a root file-system.
Save the previous kernel ".config" file. You must rebuild
with the 'loop' device in the kernel as well (or else you
can't make a new initrd RAM disk).

Then you can install the new modutils package.

Then you can change back to the previous configuration with
`make clean ; make oldconfig`....etc. Rebuild the kernel,
install and boot happy.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.8 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).