Re: Fw: signed kernel modules?

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 13:58:58 EST

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Dave Jones wrote:

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 01:57:50PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Attached. This difference in size might make one think that
> there's more in the 2.6.8 basic compile, but most stuff is
> strings that say "BLAW is not set", which us longer than
> "BLAW=y" or "BLAW=m". In fact, about twice as long....

A cursory examination show that the two aren't even remotely
similar in a lot of cases. Take the misc filesystems section
for example.. (edited for brevity)

2.4
# Miscellaneous filesystems
#
# CONFIG_ADFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AFFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_HFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_HFSPLUS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_BEFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_BFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_EFS_FS=m
CONFIG_HPFS_FS=m
CONFIG_SYSV_FS=m
CONFIG_UFS_FS=m

2.6

# Miscellaneous filesystems
#
CONFIG_AFFS_FS=m
CONFIG_HFS_FS=m
CONFIG_HFSPLUS_FS=m
CONFIG_BEFS_FS=m
CONFIG_BFS_FS=m
CONFIG_EFS_FS=m
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS=m
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_NAND=y
CONFIG_JFFS2_ZLIB=y
CONFIG_JFFS2_RTIME=y
CONFIG_CRAMFS=m
CONFIG_VXFS_FS=m
CONFIG_QNX4FS_FS=m
CONFIG_SYSV_FS=m
CONFIG_UFS_FS=m

And you wonder why 2.6 is taking longer ?
There are many more cases like this in your configs..

Unless you're comparing apples to apples, this is
just nonsense.

Dave

No. I didn't time `make modules`, only `make bzImage`.
`make modules` takes too long to time (really) I don't
want to use any CPU resources which will screw up the
timing and I need to use the computer.

A wall-clock guess is that `make modules` takes about
an hour on the new system while it takes about 4 minutes
on the old. The new kernel build procedure is truly
horrible for the wall-clock time that is used.

For oranges vs oranges, if I compile Version 2.4.26
on a version 2.6.8 OS computer, the compile-time
is within tens of seconds. I'm not complaining about
the resulting kernel code performance, only the
abortion^M^M^M^M^M^Mjunk used to create a new kernel.
It 'make' won't do it, we have a problem and make
needs to be fixed.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.8 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).