Re: Linux 2.6.x wrongly recognizes USB 2.0 DVD writer

From: John Stoffel
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 09:26:08 EST

Ganesan> Thanks for the info. As I mentioned, the enclosure works
Ganesan> flawlessly for me under 2.4.27. It's getting detected
Ganesan> incorrectly only in 2.6.x. Another user reported a similar
Ganesan> problem but was able to get dvd burning working by removing
Ganesan> the checks from the writing tool. So, it looks like detection
Ganesan> has been messed up only in 2.6.x.

I'm an idiot. I mis-read your initial post thinking it was like my
ByteCC which has the dual Firewire/USB ports and since I can't get
EITHER interface type to work reliablely, I've given up on it for now.

What's the output of 'lsusb'? You want to see what the vendor/product
ID is as a comparison. I should check mine again under USB and see
what happens under 2.6.8, though earlier it would just hang the entire
system after copying a GB or two of data. At least under FireWire
when it hung, I could recover the system without having to reboot.

Gah... time for more caffeine.