Re: 2.6.9-rc4 No local APIC present or hardware disabled

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 05:54:01 EST

Maciej W. Rozycki writes:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, mobil@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > after upgrading to 2.6.9-rc4 I'm getting the following message in dmesg:
> >
> > No local APIC present or hardware disabled
> >
> > 2.6.9-rc3 and older kernels did not show this message. They showed:
> > Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.
> > Found and enabled local APIC!
>
> As you've already been told, the local APIC is not being enabled by
> default anymore. I think this change may be unfortunate for users, so
> I've proposed the change to be applied for systems using ACPI and then
> verbosely, so that the reason for the APIC being kept disabled is clear.

There are systems, such as the P3-based Dell Inspirons and Latitutes
that caused the dmi blacklist to be implemented, that fail whether
they're using APM or ACPI. So in the interest of consistency, we should
either always automatically override the BIOS, requiring "nolapic" on
broken systems, or never automatically override the BIOS, requiring
"lapic" on systems that work but have stupid BIOSen.

None of this is ACPI-specific, so I don't like the idea of tying
auto-enable/disable to ACPI.

/Mikael